We've been waiting patiently to see when the damp tradesmen would turn up, and what their prognosis was going to be. They turned up on the 15th January and lifted a load of floor panels to reveal (would you believe it?!) fungal growths under the flooring and working its way into the wall under the window. They said that it was going to be quite a bit job but that it should be possible for us to continue to live in the house while it's getting done.
In the meantime, we've just been getting on with life: baking bread; going swimming (lipstick sessions!)Having big sessions in the house and fighting hangovers the following day;
Getting hair cuts;
Then I went to the pool on Wednesday morning and when I got home I was rather surprised to see the tradie van back. And even more surprised to see that Florent's mum, Monique, was here too. As soon as I saw her face, I knew it was not good news and then I stepped through the back door to this:
It turns out, that the problem is much bigger than they first anticipated and that the house is now going to need significant work. And while the work is going on, we can't live in the house, and they need us out asap so that they can crack on without delay. The whole situation is an utter mess.
But sometimes, life can just surprise you. I met one of the mums at William's school just after I'd come home to this. I explained what has been going on, and what it meant for us, and she just pulled out an unbelievable piece of information. She told me that her husband had just been offered a new job in Lille so they were moving. They'd put their house on the market but it hadn't sold yet, but that they would be leaving in a few weeks time and that it might be possible for us to live in it until it sold. I honestly couldn't believe what I was hearing. She went home, spoke to Hughes, I spoke to Iain, and we arranged to go and see it on Friday morning. The absolute best part was that it was still walking distance to William's school, but when we went to see it I couldn't believe our luck. It was old and charming but well renovated with modern decor, it was huge, it had a garden and it had a swimming pool! Suddenly, we felt like our luck was changing. We agreed to take it as a mates-rates rental (on the proviso we'd keep it well presented for all the viewings) and said we would confirm all the details once we got back from Scotland, and once Melanie and Hughes knew exactly when their leaving date would be. Phew. But, here we go, moving again.
No comments:
Post a Comment